Old Wellington Farm
Wellington Farm was once an “open hall house” open to the thatch revealing the internal roof trusses and timbers with a living stack at each end of the property, built around the time of Queen Elizabeth the 1st.
Constructed mainly of local beer stone ashlar and cob with chamfered oak beams over the inglenooks giving the property its charm and character.
The Priest Hole is still evident at Wellington Farm and was built into many of the principle Catholic houses of England during the period when Catholics were persecuted by law in England, from the beginning of the reign of Queen Elizabeth 1st in 1558.
We have our own well, although the guesthouse is now served by mains water. The 5 acres of pasture were once farmed to supply the farmhouse with produce. Farms of this era ere much smaller as everything was done manually.
The enormous old Ash tree with its knobbled and gnarled trunk, tilted gently by the prevailing South Westerly wind over the centuries, still stands majestically in the top meadow as though it is watching over the Wellington Farm.